BestLiquidFoundations may earn a small commission if you purchase a product through one of our links (at no cost to you). Learn more.
Looks are very important these days in our society, no doubt. However, not everyone has the looks they desire. Therefore, in order to solve this problem, different types of make-up products are available in the market today. One such make-up product is the foundation. When applied correctly, foundations can easily help you mask any skin imperfections, and help you even your skin tone. As a result, it improves the way you look.
Some years ago, foundations were not very advanced, and didn’t have many of the awesome features we desired. Those foundations lacked ingredients that provided protection from the sun, did not contain moisturizing ingredients, were too greasy, cakey, and were very unmanageable.
However, modern foundations have come a long way. Now we have foundations that provide varying coverage, consistency, light-as-air feeling, protection from sun, no greasy feeling and many more features. The purpose of foundations is to not just even out skin tone and hide blemishes; but also to keep and make your skin look healthy.
Different Types of Make-up Foundations
Let’s now look at some of the different types of foundations that are available in the market these days, and what they have to offer to us.
- Tinted moisturizer – The first one of our list here is the tinted moisturizer. If you do not want much of coverage, but still want to even out your skin tone, then this is the foundation you need. Your skin feels very normal after application; it feels as if nothing is there (very light weight). Another important feature of this kind of foundation is that it already contains moisturizer. If your normal routine consists of applying moisturizer before applying foundation, you can skip the moisturizer part. This foundation contains all the moisturizing stuff you need. If you have a busy schedule, and don’t have much time on your hand, this one can definitely save you some time.
- Whipped foundation (air-spray type) – Next we are going to talk about what is called a whipped foundation (also called spray foundation). Container of this foundation includes foundation mixed with some air (hence the name whipped). Inclusion of air in the foundation results in easier application. You can just spray the foundation directly onto your face and touch-up a little with the brush. This type of foundation is really good for individuals with dry skin or those who have a lot of wrinkles on their face. Those with wrinkles know the problems they face when they apply normal foundation; yes caking in the wrinkle lines. This foundation can help you overcome that problem. They are slightly more expensive than most of the other foundations you will come across.
- Liquid foundations – this is by far the most common type of foundation that you will come across. The reason why many people use it is because of its ease of application. They apply really smoothly; with the help of a dense foundation brush or just your fingers! You can even apply it well with a sponge; especially if you wet it with water a little. Liquid foundations come in all kinds of foundation. You can select them based on coverage, lasting ability, sun protection, moisturizing ability, and many more. Furthermore, because of the popularity of this type of foundation, and because people care more about their skin now days, manufacturers have started using organic ingredients in the formation process. This is the type of foundation you will find most useful, and we have dedicated a major part of this website to the discussion of this type of foundation. If you are looking for some of the best liquid foundation, check out or main page to find a good one for yourself.
- Cream-to-powder foundations – this type of foundations are designed with a slightly different yet very good concept in mind. It comes in liquid form, and once applied to skin, it transforms into powder quickly! Isn’t that just amazing? It completely eliminates the process of applying pressed powder after your normal foundation application. Another notable feature of this kind of foundation is that it feels just as natural as your skin. Furthermore, it doesn’t clog your pores! Most of these foundations also contain vitamins (especially A and E), which help keep your skin healthy.
- Mineral foundation – this type of foundation are also becoming very popular these days. You know that science is advancing very rapidly now days, especially when it comes to developing beauty products. With more and more research, and sea full of new information, scientists have now developed mineral foundation which does not containing many of the ingredients found in other types of foundations. Most ingredients that it contains are inert minerals. Absence of “chemicals” makes this type of foundation a perfect choice for ladies with sensitive or allergic skin. It creates a special and flawless appearance one applied.
- Concealer – Last but not the least, we are going to talk about concealers. These are very thick and provide full coverage. Some of them are even tinted to provide a color. They are mainly used to mask problems with the skin, such as pimples, blemishes, under-eye smudges, redness etc. Many well-known make-up artists recommend applying concealer before you apply your regular foundation. This way you get even skin tone and flawless appearance.
There you have it. These are the six most common types of foundation you will see around. Manufacturers have come up with many derivatives of these, with a lot more features, but the basis of most of them is the same.
If you are looking to find the best liquid foundation for yourself, don’t forget to check out the main page where I have listed the top liquid foundations.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.